The Parish of Winnersh was created in 2012 when St Mary’s and St Catherine’s came together for the first time.
Before then St Catherine’s had been the parish church of Bearwood. It was built in 1846 by John Walter II, the proprietor and editor of The Times, whose family built much of Sindlesham and left a lasting influence on the area.
St Mary’s was built in 1965. At that time Winnersh was a new housing development within the parish of Hurst, and St Mary’s was built in response to serve the new community.